Miss Meraleen, I Presume?

My Blog About Peace Corps Service in Niger

Disclaimer: The views and opinions reflected throughout this site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Staging Day 2

Wow,
Staging has come and gone. This morning a looked ahead at the extremely looong day in front of me and thought it would never end. My previous experience with training days are that they are long and boring and that I need to struggle to keep myself awake. Not this one. Right from start Kate, Leonard and Jessica established a pattern of fun, interesting and useful exercises. Today we watched two videos, one on how to deal with unwanted attention and another celebrating Peace Corp's 45th anniversary. We also did group exercises on risk and threat aversion, adhearing to Peace Corp's policies and Crossing Cultural bounderies. We played plenty of games and I've laughed harder today than I've done in a long time. (not counting the juggler in the magic show in Vegas last Friday). This really is a great group and I am excited to get to know every one much better over the next 9 weeks.

Staging has been in Philadelphia with Betsy Ross' House around the corner (she sewed the first American flag) and the liberty bell a block away. Freedom and Liberty is printed all over and it is kind of inspiring knowing that my mission for the next two years is to advocate the same ideas that people faught for on this very spot hundreds of years ago. I know that my impact in Niger will be minimal on the grand scale but I hope to expand the opportunities for at least a few people as well as learn more about who I am and what I can contribute to achieving a world were all people are free to pursue their dreams, whatever those dreams may be.

And so, my friends, I clock out for a while. I will be writing blog entries but will not have access to internet for at least two weeks. If you want to be added to the email list to recieve updates of when I post, please let me know and I'll do that the next opportunity I get.

It's actually happening. Somebody pinch me.

yours truly,
Maria

4 Comments:

At July 9, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Blogger NIGER1.COM said...

NIGER NEWS On http://www.niger1.com

 
At July 10, 2008 at 3:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeay Maria!

I'm very proud of you for your choice to do this. I know you will get much from the experience, and I know you will be able to share much with the people you will meet.

Share your beautiful self.

Good luck!


-Scott & Paula

 
At July 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Geek Princess said...

Welcome to Niger! Looking forward to meeting you guys at swear in!

 
At August 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hejsan Maria! Det låter som du har det bra! Jag är i Kina och Kazakhstan i sommar, om du vill kan du kolla www.lindaidag.blogg.se
Hoppas du njuter av post-examen-stämning! Vad ska du nu hitta på? Kram!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home