Miss Meraleen, I Presume?

My Blog About Peace Corps Service in Niger

Disclaimer: The views and opinions reflected throughout this site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Missing Home

We’ve now been in Niger almost two full weeks. The second one definitely passed by quicker than the first which to be expected as we get used to things. The language is a huge struggle but I’m slowly picking up stray words when my host family speaks in their extremely fast manner and our classes are now almost entirely taught in Zarma.

I picked up my new Nigerien dress yesterday and if I may say so myself, I look smashing hot. A total business suit, African style. Craziness that for a three piece outfit, paid no more than 3000 CFA which the equivalent of approximately $7. Yet if I were to convert everything to $US, I would quickly fall in to a dangerous trap because converted to US dollars, things cost no more than a few pennies but because our salary from Peace Corps is meant to match living expenses we don’t get more than 6000 CFA to spend a week. So to offer some perspective, I spent half a week’s salary on one outfit which is still totally worth it because it’s so gorgeous!

The heat, the lack of protein and fresh vegetables, the bugs and the lack of communication can certainly be frustrating at times but given that this second week has been much easier than the first and given that I’m slowly opening the door to communication with my host family, there is a small light in the horizon that this desert, isolated place could grow to become my home.

After a long day of language classes today, I stayed on the training site and played a couple games of volleyball with a few of the other trainees and it was amazing how much tension was released in that simple act of hitting a ball back and forth over the net. I wasn’t even very good but am determined to get better.

Another trainee had to leave Niger yesterday because of an unbeknownst allergy and it was sad for all of us because we’re already becoming a tight group. He promised to act as postman though and mail our letters from the US so I made sure to include a couple. Presently we are down to 46 volunteers out of the original 48. I wonder how many of those still around will swear in on September 12. I certainly hope to be one of them. All I have to do is live through PST and achieve intermediate-mid on the language exam. At this point both of those tasks seem doable!

I hope friends and family are doing alright. If you have a moment to write a quick note, I will certainly appreciate it since snail mail may be my only access to outside communication for the next 5 weeks…. You can ask one of my family members for the address since I’m reluctant to publish it online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home