Miss Meraleen, I Presume?

My Blog About Peace Corps Service in Niger

Disclaimer: The views and opinions reflected throughout this site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Meat

One week left before swearing in as a full volunteer. 9 weeks certainly seemed like a long time when we first landed in country but as always, time passes and we are now talking about things like ‘what to do the three months at post’ since we can’t actually facilitate projects during this time. I am eager to get out to Sagafondo and my counterpart has been texting to check in, making me feel all the more welcome. Still I am scared because it’ll be a total shift in routine. From seeing American on a daily basis and always having English to fall back on if Zarma fails, I will be surrounded by all Nigeriens and have to rely on Zarma for all communication. Nothing like shock therapy to quickly integrate in a community.


Another two people left Peace Corps yesterday, meaning that of our original 48 PCTs only 40 remain. The group morale always takes a hit whenever somebody leaves for the US, never to come back. Thanks God for Tondi, our training manager who is a completely lovable guy, honest and super-understanding of everything we’re going through. Yesterday afternoon he gathered everyone and announced what had happened, giving people a chance to ask questions (since one of the people leaving had been administratively separated) and generally giving us some space to regroup and draw strength from each other. YAY Tondi!.


Tondi trying my poi


I have come to an important decision that I’d like to share with those of you who know me (and anyone else who would like to know me) I have decided that when I get back to United States I will no longer be a vegetarian. My reasoning for this decision s based on the idea that if I can eat meat here in Niger that has been sitting in the sun all day with flies crawling all over it, I can handle whatever chemicals they put in the meat in the US. I still don’t approve of how many of the animals are treated in the US which means I will use my purchasing power to support the organic meat industry when cooking for myself but ordering big steak at a nice restaurant will definitely be one of the first things that I do once I go back.

1 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for meat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home