Miss Meraleen, I Presume?

My Blog About Peace Corps Service in Niger

Disclaimer: The views and opinions reflected throughout this site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A confession

This post is going to be informative nad content heavy so bear with me. First of all let me extend a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Barack Obama and to all Americans who came to their senses and voted for him. I am proud of you, maybe even proud to be one of you which is more than I can say for the last eight years.

At this time I have been in Sagafondo for almost a month and a half and I am really glad that I don’t ever have to relive this time because setting up routines, getting to know people and navigating your way around a new place in terms of who to talk to to get what done, is quite exhausting and once you’re completely familiar with your surroundings, as I am on fast track to becoming, it’s like a huge burden taken of one’s shoulders. YAY INTEGRATION!

I have a confession: I am a workaholic. Let me back this up with two explanations: First is the personal gratification of hard work. I am absolutely happiest about myself when I feel productive and useful. This being said I am extremely lucky that people that I work with are equally determined to get the work done. Second is the pretense for me being in Niger in the first place. Because I risked my relationship with the man I love to join the Peace Corps, I feel like every moment here needs to count and thus I am constantly seeking out ways to learn as much as I possibly can about Niger and make the biggest difference for the people in my community and the Mairie.

So, my love of work defended, what am I actually doing to be so busy? My work so far can be divided into four main areas:

1. In the mayor’s office assisting the employees with day to day activities like writing up birth certificates and collecting taxes but also with larger projects like mapping the Communes resources , marketing the tourist sites (sand dunes, hippos, caves and Fulani Camps) and updating the development plan from its original 2005 version.

2. With women’s groups in Saga-fondo and the neighboring villages. They all have relatively well structured groups with elected presidents and a desire to begin their on-income generating activities. Still, a lot of them lack a mission statement, i.e. actual work. Although they are disappointed that I can’t bring money to the table, several groups have expressed interest in working with my, making use of administrative skills like setting up a system of microfinance and creating a project plan for the work to be done.

3. As a PE teacher in the CEG (middle school). It’s certainly amusing how I can’t seem to get away from leading classes of physical exercise. (not that I try to) Some student saw me running one morning and asked if I wanted to teach them PE. Inititally they were sad that I didn’t know karate, as Jackie Chan is their all time hero, but now with my first week done, I am certain that we’ll have a great time together with or without karate. 6 classes at the CEG so that gives me a guaranteed 6 hours of exercise every week. SWEET!

4. Integrating in to the community. This is definitely not a traditional job but part of Peace Corps commitment to Cross Culture and I try to make daily rounds to my adopted mothers and fathers, knowing that if I don’t they will scold me for it later, saying that I’ve forgotten them ;).

“Be careful what you ask for”, my Mom always said and here I am, the girl who always sought to be the center of attention, surrounded by people who want nothing more than to do work with me, visit me, be my friend and for me to come see them. I enjoy the one or two episodes of Lost that I watch every night because that is also the only time I am truly alone. Still, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It is because it is the abnormally that I welcome the solitude. With all its peculiarities, Niger is my home now and I am happy here.





Me Being Happy


Maya being happy on top of my shade hanger (until it was time to come down and she forgot how she got up)



More Camels



1 Comments:

At November 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria, sweetheart, you are loved and missed. I spread your story here and am glad to hear from you. You have presents on their way to Niamey, I hope you receive them. -JTS

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home